Chaplain's Captain Career Course Credit

Military Chaplains who qualify for the Doctor of Ministry Program and have completed 0-3 career level training or higher can earn credit for the Chaplain's Captain Career Course. While the D.Min. does not offer a dedicated military chaplaincy track, students may specialize in one of the standard D.Min. tracks, and then complete a project in the field of chaplaincy.

  • Validation of completion of the Captain Career Course is required through presentation of course syllabi plus evidence of completion.
  • For the purpose of degree requirements, a student given this designation must first take the Program Overview and Research Writing Workshop and at least one seminar in their first trimester of course work.
  • During the inquiry or application process, notify the Professional Doctoral office of your interest in receiving Chaplain's Captain Career Course Credit.

Credit Transfer

Credit for the Captain Career is not to exceed nine hours, or three seminars. Students must register for these credits prior to registration for the Project in Ministry Design Workshop. Students must select any three (3) of the following for course credit:

    • CCPS8301 Pastoral Counseling
    • CEAM8303 Building and Managing an Effective Organization
    • CMWL8302 Building Bridges for Multi-Generational Worship
    • PMLS8300 Strategic Leadership 
    • THCH8301 Spiritual Formation of the Minister
    • THTH8304 The Christian Worldview

* If students decide to transfer all 9 hours, or 3 seminars, for the Captain Career Course credits, they cannot take any special event seminars, Specialized Directed Studies, or Directed Studies because 9 out of 18 seminar hours must be on-campus seminars.


The Captain Career Course credit hours will be charged to the student account at the current NOBTS rates for SBC and/or Non-SBC students. The students will be charged "full tuition" for the courses they are transferring.

Using Military Support

If the student's tuition is funded by the military, the student needs to notify the Professional Doctoral Office.

Back to top